Why should you learn how to relax fast? Because stress is more than just unpleasant. It is also dangerous. Many diseases are now known to be caused by or made worse by stress, but you can do something about it. Just try these relaxation techniques today, and use them whenever you feel that tension coming on.
- Have a hot shower. The hot water relaxes your muscles, and the break from more stressful activities helps too.
- Play relaxing music. Experiment to see which music relaxes you most effectively. Then keep your favourite relaxation mp4 at the office, or wherever you need it most.
- Go somewhere else. This really helps if the things stressing you out are in the room or associated with it. Why not get out for a little while?
- Have a cup of chamomile tea. Chamomile seems to have a calming effect on the nerves, and hot drinks in general can help you relax.
- Watch your mind. If you can spot the stressors lurking just below the surface (hunger, worry, a phone call you need to make), you can resolve them and feel more relaxed.
- Have a laugh. Of course, you know from experience that this helps you relax, right? Find the guy that knows all the best jokes, or just find something funny in front of you.
- Breathe deeply through your nose. Close your eyes and pay attention only to your breath while doing this. Five slow deep breaths is like a mini-meditation.
- Take a walk. Walking is one of the best relaxation techniques if you have at least ten minutes to spare. Find a pretty place to walk while you are at it.
- Give someone a hug. As long as it is from somebody you do not mind hugging, this really can be very relaxing.
- Interrupt your routine. Stop to talk to that guy sleeping on the bench, or eat lunch on the roof. Anything that breaks you out of your habitual patterns can relieve stress.
Over time, you can change to be more relaxed. Of course, if the thought of the work involved in this just stresses you more, you might want to take it slow.